Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) provision at St Mary’s College
Our definitions of gifted and talented
GIFTED – has the potential to perform significantly beyond those of her peer group
TALENTED – has reached an achievement level significantly beyond that of her peers
PROVISION FOR STUDENTS – challenges and opportunities
Junior school (Years 7-10)
- Year 7 GATE programme: this creative and critical thinking programme is offered once a week in Term 4 to selected Year 7 students, who participate in a withdrawal programme run by the GATE Co-ordinator.
- Streamed classes for Year 7 and 8 Maths; two accelerated classes at Year 9 and 10 level – curriculum extension within each class
- Future Problem Solving programme: this international programme is offered to selected Year 8-10 students, who are withdrawn from one class a week for Terms 1-3 to compete in a futuristic, scenario-based competition involving creative and critical thinking.
- Workshops, competitions, seminars: a range of opportunities is offered each year to students in their areas of talent. Students have participated in Forensics at Kristin, Young Writers’ workshops, NZAGC competitions, the PC4G Workshop – a computer programming course for Year 10 girls, academy conferences for gifted students, ICAS and Australian Maths competitions.
- A GATE noticeboard is centrally located in the CM block where students can collect pamphlets, find advertised workshops and view photos of work in action
Senior school (Years 11-13)
- Students are catered for by curriculum selection and flexible timetabling of subjects across year levels.
- Scholarship Club for capable senior students wishing to sit end of year Scholarship examinations
- Workshops, competitions, seminars: a range of opportunities is offered each year to students in their areas of talent. Individual students are targeted from the GATE register or through daily notices promotion. Students have participated in Forensics at Kristin, Young Writers’ workshops, NZAGC competitions, leadership days, academy conferences for gifted students, etc.